Monday, August 21, 2006

Déjà vu times two

I can't really say it's been a bad day today. Sure, bad things have happened, but I think I've just been so tired that I've lost the ability to form any emotional response and thus complain. Nevertheless, I'll catalogue some events in an attempted complaint-like fashion.

No sleep for the wicked

I had a 5:30 am opening shift today. This would usually mean that I would be asleep pretty early on the night before. Not so the case last night. I tried to sleep countless times but I just wouldn't lose consciousness. I would tussle around in bed, trying to get comfortable, but to no avail. In between attempts would be sessions of reading comics, making my eyes more and more weary. Still, this has no effect, to the extent that I finally gave up trying to sleep and just rested, waiting for my shift.

Work itself was not so bad. The opening shift is usually a calm one, with little activity compared to the day time. The only thing I could really complain about is the intense cold breeze that seemed to make its way into the store in the last half hour. I fell asleep almost immediately after getting back home. I slept twice during the day, and this kind of sleep pattern is eerily reminding me of my university days, much like the recurring dreams I have, though that story will be saved for another time.

Guess what? It's 10:20 pm at the moment and I've got another opening shift tomorrow.

Vuda je: The feeling that none of this has happened before

After the first stint of sleep I had today, I got a call from some guy asking if my dad was home. I told him he wasn't, and he left me a number to call back. About an hour later, the same guy calls, saying the exact same thing, and leaving the exact same message. I dismissed it as déjà vu, until I was woken up from my second stint of sleep by yet another call by the same guy saying the same thing. I told him that he already called me twice before, and he claims he didn't. If he calls again, I swear he will get an earful.

Play that funky music

What was probably the worst part of today was when I found out that renowned band Tool are touring Australia... in January! Normally, this would be great news. The bad part comes when you consider my overseas trip. I'll be in Canada working on the snow during their tour, so I'll miss seeing them. It may not be a complete loss though, as they could still tour North America (again) after finishing off their overseas shows.

What I'll also be missing out on is Homebake for 2006. The festival of home-grown acts has a great line-up this year, including Silverchair, You Am I, and Infusion just to name a few. Last year's show was incredible, and I doubt this year's would be any different. Sadly, I will narrowly miss it by a week due, once more, to my trip to Canada.

No comments: