Sunday, August 06, 2006

In like Flynn, baby!

I had to pike Dave's birthday. I had to skip what was probably an awesome bonfire with the boys from the Northern Beaches. It was all worth it.

I started off the day being woken up by my mobile phone alarm at around 7 in the morning. It took me a good while to get up from bed and, after taking a shower, I caught the bus into the city. I had a hot chocolate at Gloria Jean's while going through my 'interview notes' then proceeded to head to the nearby Y Hotel, where the IEP Work & Ski Canada Job Fair was being held. At this point I was feeling both very tired and very nervous. As soon as the employer presentations started, the nerves miraculously went away.

The first couple of hours seemed to go like a bullet train. Not just a regular bullet train either, more like the ones you see in Japan. Before I knew it, I had a job offer from both employers I interviewed with. I had a choice of either being a kitchen steward at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, or a room attendant at Panorama. Mind you, my interview skills had deteriorated a great deal over the years. My mastery of the English language is not nearly as good as it was when I was still in public education. Anyway, I decided I'd wait for Leigh and Ben (from Canberra) to figure out where they'd be going before I chose which employer's offer to accept.

Several coffees, a Guinness, and a few slices of pizza later, it had looked like Leigh was not going to get the job at Whistler so I stopped hassling the IEP people about details about the trip (especially Alison, whom I had talked to a few times before with related issues) and put my autograph on that piece of paper for Panorama. I haven't exactly got the job yet... but it's pretty much guaranteed. All that needs to happen now is for me to send off a reference or two to Panorama and for them to send me an employment contract.

And so the grand plans for a year-long North American adventure begins. I'm having some Verdi Spumante (really nice despite not being very alcoholic) to celebrate.

No comments: