Sunday, August 19, 2007

Backtrack

The backtracking phase of my trip officially begins today. Until now, I haven't gone back to any place I had already visited during the trip, unless it was on the way to another location. Now, it's time to slowly make my way back west on the slow road home. The first repeat is Halifax.

First impressions suck (and, evidently, so does Notepad)

I seem to have a knack for having a first impression of certain places that never last. When I first arrived at St. John's I was demoralized due to a perceived boringness of the city, and indeed the province as a whole. But then... well actually, I had the next few paragraphs written up, but the laptop decided to close the window I was typing in without saving, and I'm quite sleep-deprived, so I'll spare everybody the details. Here's a quick rundown: I liked Newfoundland despite first impressions; I'm the supreme Scrabble player; Stardust was good, but the novella was better; St. John's airport sucks, but Tim Horton's did an excellent job of keeping me awake and (relatively) sane.

St. John's overview

Days spent: 12
iPod thieves: At least 1, that bastard
Places named 'Dildo' visited: 1
Theme song/s: The Waifs - Lighthouse

Oh yeah, and I bought a blues harp (harmonica) today to keep me musically entertained while I can't enjoy my music in pre-recorded form. Got pulled up by airport security for having a suspicious object. I thought that was amusing. I'm pretty sure they knew what it was, but they checked it anyway (which I had a feeling might happen), so it's good to know they're doing their job.

No comments: