Sunday, August 05, 2007

The hostel of infinite sleep

Halifax is a really nice and laid back city. In fact, it's perhaps a little too laid back. In the span of the last week, I haven't gotten up to a whole lot. Most of my time has been spent hanging out at the hostel either on the computer, sleeping, or talking to the other guests. The company has been great - everybody I've met has been nice, and it's always great to talk to other travelers. For some reason, though, I've been sleeping quite a bit. I can't explain it - every time I come back from going outside of the hostel, I've headed straight for bed for a nap that usually lasts a few hours. When I wake up, it's dinner time, or close to it.

Despite this, what little I've been doing has been pretty cool. The first day I went out was when I first got into the hostel. A few of us went and had a stroll around, checking out a few landmarks, then checked out the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which was free on Tuesday evenings. That night, we all went to the local pool hall to have a few games and some drinks. The next day, we went to Point Pleasant Park, which was nice, although I didn't do all of it because I was too tired from walking around. I headed back to the hostel early to crash. After having dinner, a few of us headed over to a pub oddly called The Economy Shoe Shop. They had awesome nachos, supposedly the best in town. I didn't stay out too long, because I wanted to make sure I woke up the next day, when we were to head to Peggy's Cove for a half-day trip.

Peggy's Cove was cool. A prototypical little town by the sea, lighthouse and all. In fact, Peggy's Cove's lighthouse is renowned as the most photographed lighthouse in the world. I don't know how much of that is true, but the amount of tourists that were there seemed to back up this claim. We got there fairly early, so I was lucky to get a couple of photos without people in it. On the way home, we stopped by the graveyard set up for the victims of the Titanic disaster. Apparently, when the Titanic sunk, the two closest ports were Halifax, and St. John's in Newfoundland. I had something to eat when we got back to the hostel, then I went to the cinemas to watch The Simpsons Movie, which came out the previous week, but I didn't want to see it in French. It was pretty funny.

Yesterday, I watched two movies. Well, technically speaking, I watched one of the movies today, but who's counting. The first one I watched was The Bourne Ultimatum, part three of the Bourne series loosely based on Robert Ludlum's series of spy novels. I'm not sure if they'll make a next movie, but this installment was as good as the last, perhaps even better. The second movie I watched was at midnight, as part of an outdoor film festival that Halifax is holding for the month of August. I saw Donnie Darko on a screen projected on a small screen hanging from the roof of a warehouse at the pier. It was a pretty cool experience, both figuratively and literally. I should have brought my jacket.

Today has been filled with more nothingness. I went to the waterfront to check out the market they have every Saturday, but when I got there, there wasn't a lot to see, so I headed back to the hostel and got more sleep. Now, as always, dinner time is looming.

New photos are up. There's a few shots from the end of July, and several from Peggy's Cove.

No comments: