Tuesday, October 30, 2007

NaNoWriMoVember

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out two cool month-long events for November - NaNoWriMo and Movember.

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)
http://www.nanowrimo.org/

The spiel: A challenge set out to anybody to write a 50,000-word (minimum) novel in the span of 30 days, starting on the first of November. The objective of this initiative is to encourage people to write, and inspire writers to finally get that long-gestating idea off the ground. The emphasis is on quantity, not quality, which, in a way, allows the writers a lot of freedom.

I will personally be taking part in this. I already have notes on rough plot points and such. I'm quite excited to write that first novel.

Movember
http://www.movember.com/

The spiel: All men are asked to grow a moustache - and just a moustache (that is, no connectors or hair underneath the lips) - for the entire duration of the month of November in the name of charity. The aim of the event is to raise awareness of male health issues, such as prostate cancer. Each participant can be sponsored, and the month ends with a Movember ball.

I probably won't get sponsored, as I am currently in job hunting mode (more on that later), meaning that I'll have to shave off the mo if I happen to get an interview, but it's a really fun way to help a good cause.

In other news...

Seeing as I have just recently returned to the country, I have not achieved a great deal. However, I feel like I've been running around just trying to get things done. There is the small matter of my large travel debt, which I would love to pay off as soon as possible. This implies that I should get a job fairly soon, which I'm (sort of) working on. This conflicts with my plan to have a bit of time to relax as I ease back into Australian life (and try to kick that damn jetlag).

Anyway, the other thing I'm trying to sort out is catching up with people. For some reason this involves a great deal of calling people and getting generally confused (due to myself being in a state of delirium). I'm sure NaNoWriMo will help in this matter. (See what I did there? I used sarcasm! Hah!)

I suppose I'll keep scant updates on the goings-on of the month ahead, as November should prove to be mighty interesting indeed. I'll also try to provide regular updates on my state of mind as I take on the process of novel-writing. Onward!

No comments: