Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Filmfest diary 3.0: Condensed edition

The Sydney Film Festival has come and gone, and I haven't even gotten around to posting about it (I've noticed that I've only been updating once a month this year, but I digress), so consider this the obligatory film festival report.

Much to my disappointment, I was told that the Sydney Film Festival was not as huge as the other festivals I've been to in the past (namely Berlin, Toronto, and Vancouver), and didn't have the usual Q&A fare at the end of each session (with the exception of some of the competition movies as well as the gala movies). However, this did not take away from the quality (or lack thereof) of the films. I saw nine, and my reviews of the films can be read here.

My pick of the ones that I saw was The Square, which, to my surprise, was actually a red carpet world premiere. Anyway, it was a thoroughly enjoyable Australian noir that I could find very little wrong with. There was also the added bonus of having the cast and crew on hand to answer questions.

Apart from the film festival, not a whole lot has happened, though I suppose being at work full-time gives that perception whether there were things to do or not. Off the top of my head, I can remember that there was a party at David B's house where I caught up with a few people, I went and saw Mixmaster Mike, who has inhuman mixing/scratching skills, and I saw Holly Throsby and her band at the Factory theatre, where I was just as impressed with her stage presence as I was with her music.

I guess that's it for now. The next update will probably be a post-New Zealand report. All the details are finally sorted out, so now all I have to do is wait, and pray for snow.

No comments: