Friday, August 11, 2006

Shenanigans

I've been convinced that I should apply for the US B1/B2 visa just to make sure I don't get held up in the US, even though I've been told that they are usually confused when you show them the visa. The B1/B2 visa is meant to be for stays in the USA of more than 90 days. It stipulates in the conditions that going to neighbouring Canada or Mexico does not count as leaving the country, so technically I would have to get a visa even if I'm only transiting through the USA. However, by all reports they usually tell you at the airport/border that the visa is unnecessary, thus causing more confusion than would be desired. Regardless, I'll still apply for one just to get it out of the damn way.

In terms of the actual flight, I have yet to book anything. Since I'm applying for the visa, I figured I may as well get the cheapest flight that goes through the USA instead of going through Korea or Japan as I had originally considered. This would also mean I could visit my relatives in San Francisco. The FlyBuys idea fell through pretty quickly. It turns out that the flight is valid for 12 months from the date of issue, which is really annoying. It would mean that if I book it today, I would have to return in August, and if I book it later in the year, the seats would probably not be available anymore.

It's true that I usually enjoy the organizing part of a trip. However, if it involves the USA, stress inevitably comes into the equation.

No comments: