Thursday, June 28, 2007

Don't let the bedbugs bite

It's amazing what difference a day can make. Today, I woke up and found that several people had been bitten by bedbugs. Couple with that the fact that I was told by a few other guests that they had been paying less than what I (and other online bookers) had been paying per night, and I'm beginning to think twice about my assessment of this hostel. Certainly, it's got great character, but the (seemingly) semi-regular outbreak of bedbugs and the high price seem to have tainted my original view.

The best thing to do when there's a bedbug infestation is to wash all clothing at high heat, which is a problem for two reasons. Firstly, there's only one set of washers and dryers. Secondly, I have a lot of shirts that would probably explode (exaggeration) under high heat due to their permanent press designs. I will end up washing my stuff, but one cannot exactly wash their entire luggage (including backpacks and such), so in the end I can only hope that my stuff has not been negatively affected by this recent development.

As it is quite clear, I'm not in an incredibly happy mood about either of these issues. My hope is that I can cancel at least part of my booking on the basis of one or both of these problems, and that Shelley, who is also booked in for this hostel for the weekend, can do the same.

Almost as a footnote, I did end up going in-line skating yesterday. Alas, the skates they gave me were too large, so it felt a bit weird. I didn't crash though, which was good. And damn, it was hot.

No comments: