Monday, July 02, 2007

Canada Day

Previously on Adrian's adventure, he was very irritated at disruptions to the hostel he was staying at. He was in the process of changing his plan amidst this development. And now, the conclusion...

Fumigation

A couple of staff members at the hostel seemed to be as set on kicking out a certain guest as they were on getting rid of these bedbugs. Now, I don't want to get into specifics about this conflict, but all I'll say is that I could see both sides of the story, so neither party was "in the wrong". However, one certain staff member seemed adamant on this guest leaving, and was a bit rude about handling the situation, which just made things worse. There was a huge argument about it, the police were called (though they didn't do anything), and in the end made for quite a spectacle.

The next day, they were fumigating once again, so I didn't end up doing a whole lot until the end of the day, when a few of us went to check out the first evening of the Jazz Festival. It was nice and relaxed until the first major outdoor act of the festival, when crowds filled up the main area to critical mass. I wasn't really a big fan of the type of music the band was playing, so I avoided the crowd and went to an outlying stage, where I watched a blues guitarist play a set that was much more to my liking. We were all separated by the end of the night, and met up again back at the hostel well before the night's festivities were over, as we were all fairly tired.

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

I finally ended up inline skating around Canada's world championship F1 track, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which was on a little island, accessible via bike paths. I found somebody in the hostel to venture out to the island with me, and it took just over 2 hours to get to the track, go around once, and get back. Alas, the rental company charge by full hours, so we ended up just cruising along the pier before returning the skates. By this point our legs and feet were burning up, so we retired back to the hostel for some relaxation.

The relaxation turned into quiet beer drinking, which turned into "let's all go out to a club tonight". At this point, Shelley had finally made it through the traffic-congested highway from Toronto and arrived in the city. After drinking several more beers, we headed out to a nearby pub, and then wherever the night took us. I actually don't know where the night took us, I just went with people, and we all eventually got split up into really tiny little groups.

It wasn't so bad yesterday - we managed to stick together in the most part. I didn't do a lot yesterday. I got up with a huge hangover from the night before, got some greasy food from the Vietnamese restaurant I've been frequenting, and went back to bed until about 5 in the afternoon. After that, there was a nice little jam session outside in the courtyard, at which point we started drinking again, then headed out to celebrate the birthday of Laurel, one of the guests at the hostel. We hung out at the busy Crescent St. for the whole night, and didn't get back home until about 3 or 4.

Consequently, I'm now too hungover to start celebrating Canada Day until much later. I need some more greasy food before doing anything productive. I'll probably get some tickets to see Infected Mushroom tonight, and check out some other stuff... but apart from that, there's not a lot planned until late in the day.

Oh, and no photos uploaded yet. Too lazy.

No comments: