Saturday, October 13, 2007

Tofino

I am so damn glad that I decided to go to Tofino despite the bad weather forecast. I woke up at 6 in the morning after very little sleep, and lugged my bags (including my now very heavy snowboard bag) downstairs for check-out. I once again stashed my snowboard bag in storage, then caught a cab to the bus station. The bastard driver decided to keep two dollars tip from an eight dollar fare, but being very sleepy, I was in no state to argue, and just let it go. It was a fairly clear morning, and I hoped that it would continue to be that way for the entire day.

I couldn't get any sleep on the bus ride to the ferry terminal, except for the short waiting period to board the ferry. I finally caught a bit of snooze on the actual ferry, which was a smooth ride. The view of the mountains over the sea was incredible. However, it was nothing compared to what awaited on the actual island. Vancouver Island, I had been told, was a really nice place. It was not until the bus ride to Tofino that I realized just how true this was. Autumn has really brought out the colours in full force, with the deciduous apple greens, yellows, oranges, and flame reds standing out in the sea of evergreen trees. This was especially prevalent through a stretch of forest, where the road narrowed to barely two lanes, and you could almost touch the woods.

I arrived in beautiful Tofino where it was slightly different. Evergreen trees dominate here, with barely a sign of falling leaves among the huge forested areas. I walked a few blocks to the hostel (getting lost once), then had a stroll around town, taking in the sights and the atmosphere. A nice town indeed.

It is absolutely gorgeous here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good you made that trip, enjoy yourself. We're very happy for you.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Me too! Hoiii

Shark