Monday, October 01, 2007

Grand final weekend

On Friday, I moved home from the classy WorldMark suites to the glamorous Hostelling International on Granville St. I kind of left the day free, as I wasn't really sure what my schedule was going to be like. It turned out that I got out of the WorldMark and into the HI pretty smoothly, which gave me most of the afternoon to relax. I ended up sleeping until I got a call from Amy saying that she was going to have a farewell dinner.

A few of us met up at a vegetarian place called Foundation, which appeared to be quite the popular joint. It had a nice vibe to it, and the food was good too. I don't usually eat vegetarian or vegan food, but I did quite enjoy the nachos that they served me. We had a few drinks, then the remaining four of us went down to the train station. I rode on the back wheel of Corey's bike with Corey steering up front, which was a load of fun. We eventually made it to the station where we all crammed into a photo booth and took some photos. It must be duly noted that photo booths are a lot more fun on the inside than they are on the outside (that is, a huge metal box).

It was finally time to bid farewell to Amy at the end of the night, though Shaun and I continued over to the a bar downtown where they were broadcasting the AFL grand final between Geelong and Port Adelaide. Geelong won by a ridiculous margin (in fact, it was a record), and it wasn't that fun to watch. Some people have claimed that watching Geelong play so well in unison with Port Adelaide getting beaten so badly was a joy to watch, but I disagree. Perhaps I'd have liked it a bit more if I were a fan of the Cats, but watching a final in which I support neither team, and in which one team just completely dominates is not nearly as exciting as, say, the last two grand finals, when both came down to the last minute. Still, it was good to see a bit of Aussie sports on TV for the first time in a long time.

No comments: