Thursday, September 27, 2007

Harvest moon

The season in North America officially ticked over into autumn on the 23rd (as explained here), though you could have sworn that it's closer to winter than it is to summer. The temperature has been lingering around or below a comfortable 15 degrees, and the sun has found its way through the clouds on a couple of days, but it has otherwise been overcast or rainy. Being the start of fall, it also happens to be the harvest moon tonight. Couple that with a pre-season hockey game for the Canucks, and it's a perfect recipe for loud people out in the town (and restless nights due to the resulting noise).

Speaking of which, I bought a ticket to see the Canucks season opener on the 5th of October against the San Jose Sharks, so I'll finally get to see an ice hockey game, and a Canucks one at that. Once again I screwed up with scheduling (I seem to be good at doing this when it comes to festival time), having already bought a ticket to see a film festival movie that same night. However, unlike last time, I'm not too fazed as the cost of the movie ticket was not too great (as opposed to the $20 tickets in Toronto), so even if I can't offload it to somebody else through Craigslist (or some other means), I'll only be losing a nominal amount. Plus, I did manage get the season opener ticket for the regular price instead of needing to buy it at a premium, which was what I was expecting.

Last night, I saw They Might Be Giants live in concert at the Commodore Ballroom (which is only a few minutes walk from the hotel). I'm not a huge TMBG fan, but I have heard a few of their songs and like what I've heard, so I decided to see them, and it turned out to be a very good decision. The support band, Oppenheimer, a duo from Northern Ireland, started things off to a good start, with witty banter in between songs, which set up the mood for the headline act. They Might Be Giants came out to positive cheer from the audience and played for about two hours, including three (yes, three) encores, which were absolutely mind-blowing. I don't think they planned on coming back onto the stage that many times, but the crowd didn't let up on their applause, and they seemed more than happy to come back a few times to play more songs and have fun with the audience.

As you may have noticed, the banners on the blog now rotate around between several different pictures. I did that when I was bored, and I have this site to thank for giving me the code to allow me to do this.

No comments: